Share with others

16 October 2008

Writer's Workshop

I'm a day late, but with encouragement from One Crafty Mama , I'm going to try out Writer's Workshop Wednesday from Mama's Losin' It.

The Prompts:
1.) Recall a time when you did something to get noticed. Write about it.
2.) Begin with “I wish someone told me…”
3.) If you could rearrange three things about your life what would they be?
4.) What do you love to create?

In general, I dislike doing anything to get noticed. I'm the I in INTJ. I like to be on time, because if you are late, people notice you. Especially when you have five kids trailing you... And like my oldest daughter, I don't really enjoy when the waiters sing to you at your birthday, except for the fact that it comes with dessert.

However, I ran with a really fun group of friends in high school, and we sometimes did things that got noticed. My favorite memory of being noticed was at the talent show at the annual summer gathering of student council members from around my state.

Please realize, I don't really have any demonstrable talents. Growing up, an annual ritual for me and my sister was to watch the Miss America pageant. As we grew up, my ever ambitious mom would look at my very talented musician sister and say, "You could be Miss America! You could play the clarinet as your talent!" And then she would look at me, and she would hesitate, and then she'd say something like, "Maybe you could... (awkward pause)... juggle the soccer ball..." But truthfully, I couldn't even juggle the soccer ball THAT well.

However, despite that we weren't great musicians or baton twirlers or rhythmic gymnasts or even possessing any ability to do stupid human tricks, my girlfriends and I were determined to be in the talent show. Fortunately, it was the 80's and air bands were king. We came up with the perfect song on an album. (remember those?) The beginning notes were familiar... Devo's Whip It. However, the voices- not quite the same. We "sang" to Alvin and the Chipmunk's Chipmunk Rock. And like the Chipmunk's, we rocked.

OK, well truthfully, I don't even remember if we won a thing. Or if they gave out awards. Funny how unimportant that stuff is 20 years later. But I do remember that we had a blast. And I still love air drums, especially on the dashboard of the car.

But I don't do it to get noticed anymore...

What about you? Think about one of those prompts and write! And then go leave a link at Mama's Losin' It.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness, I am cracking up at the image of you rockin' out on stage! LOL! Great story.

Oh and you aren't late at all. The prompt goes up on Wednesday and we link our stories on Thursday.

C and J said...

And, what about the UNM Talent Show MC-ing? Now THAT was also REALLY funny!!!!! And you really do play a mean air guitar! Would that one do for the MRS. America contest? XOXOXO

Anonymous said...

Fun!

KatBouska said...

I love the description of watching the Miss America pagents. I could SO see my Mom doing the same thing with me and my sister. Too funny.

Alvin and the Chipmunks though??