Share with others

10 January 2010

thinking about...


Well, I guess my recent bloggage indicates that, mostly, we're homesteading lately...

I'm pondering...

the positive qualities of snow and cold...
- when the windows are frosted, you don't have to worry about closing the shades at night...
- no need to hurry home from grocery shopping.  The ice cream is in no danger of melting.
- and if your refrigerator is crowded, just put the milk on the back porch.
- mittens and scarves, the perfect accessories!
- when your ice maker breaks, just get snow from the yard.
- when -24 is predicted, 0 seems downright balmy.

"I thought we had always been the best of company.  To one another, at the very least!" 
Matty Jenkyns in Return to Cranford
We H girls are fans of Masterpiece Classic.  We've spent the last couple of days catching up on Cranford online, in preparation for the beginning of Return to Cranford tonight.  PBS has a promising line-up for this season of Classic, including a brand new Emma and The Diary of Anne Frank.

"Beyond that, though, the idea that we should settle for “harm reduction” belies the possibility of redemption. “It’s rather absurd,” said VarnHagen. “They’re not going to use clean needles. They need to be instructed not to use any kind of needle.”
from "NY Journal: True harm reduction," WORLDmag.com
Redemption.  And hope.  I'm thankful that some in New York City, and elsewhere, still look towards them.

“We are to love the people of God, although they have many weak infirmities; shew me the man that is perfect, and let him throw the first stone, even the best."  Thomas Watson, via Femina.
Oh it's easy to love those who are easy to love, no?  This little passage I first read last week (do read the entire piece!) is a good reminder that to love is not optional.  That idea was reinforced in our sermon today, on this passage.  I'm thankful for the reminders.

Today my husband fixed a broken drawer AND is cooking up a pot of vegetable beef soup. 
Swoon.
He's a keeper.
:-)

(art credit:  Cardinal by studiotuesday at Etsy.com)

5 comments:

b said...

Ok - I'm going to have to try Cranford....

C and J said...

We are sending warm thoughts your way!!! XOXOXO

Anonymous said...

Did you watch lastnight? Oh, Harry, my boy! So trusting! Septimus is NOT a gentleman and praise the LORD for Miss Galindo!!! Can't wait until next week? How is W & P?

sperlonga said...

OH, WHY,did he shake his hand?! I knew it meant trouble. What a sweet boy.That Septimus is a scoundrel. What trouble are we in for next?
Oh, and I stay up for Miss Marple who now comes on at 10! Woohoo

norsk said...

Funny trying to some up with good things about snow. We did the same thing when we were in LA - what are ten good things about LA? An abundance of donut shops, plenty of opportunities to improve your driving reflexes, plam trees...
My "Yeah - GO snow" is that it is saving me bundles in gas expenses!